LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Kingman, Kansas

Kingman, Kansas

The site of Kingman was on the Ninnescah crossing of the Hutchinson-Medicine Lodge Trail. There in 1872, Norman Ingraham located his house, which he had hauled from Reno County. He hoped the place would become a city and he named it Sherman. There stood the town of Sherman with one shack and one cottonwood tree, waiting to become a city. J.H. Fical and his brother started a new town at Sherman in 1874 and named it Kingman. The county, the town, and a township were all named for Samuel A. Kingman, Chief Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court. Only Sherman Street remains to remind one of the town's first name. Even the first hotel had its name changed from "The Sherman House" to the "Kingman House."

Pure rock salt was discovered in 1887 and workers moved to town, so additions to Kingman were hastily developed. This Boom-town was called the "Queen of the Ninnescah", ironic to Samuel A. Kingman's Fourth of July oration in 1878 at Kingman, "Our state history has no nobler name," said D.W. Wilder, than Kingman's and "it will live with the life of the State."

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Kingman Post Office Mural

The Kingman Post Office is listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of the mural on the inside south wall of the building. The Painting at the Kingman Post Office is one of over 1300

Kingman, KS Arts

Riggs/Waterloo Aboretum

Established by John Water Riggs, the Riggs Arboretum at Waterloo is perhaps the oldest and least known arboretum west of the Mississippi River. The property is in essence a large (10 acre) grove of trees, most ranging in age from 75 to 100+

Kingman, KS Arboretums

Kingman State Fishing Lake

Kingman State Fishing Lake and Byron Walker Wildlife Area are located on U.S. Highway 54 seven miles west of Kingman, in the valley of the South Fork of the Ninnescah River. The area encompasses 4,529 acres, including the 144-acre Kingman State Fishing Lake.

Kingman, KS Recreation

Kingman County Courthouse

The Kingman County Courthouse is also on the National Register and is worth a look. The stairs are massive, like many of the old courthouses, but these are really different. The railings are made of one piece of limestone that's probably close to 20 feet long and at least 12 to 18

Kingman, KS Historic Courthouses

Former Santa Fe Depot

In March, 1999, the Santa Fe Depot was purchased by a private citizen from the Central Kansas Railway and later deeded to The Santa Fe Depot Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. The railroad itself has been purchased by the Watco Co., Pittsburg, KS, who operate the railroad as Kansas &

Kingman, KS Railroad History

Things to do near Kingman, KS

The Community Church

The Community church was organized in 1872, and constructed the following year at a cost of $2,000. The church had a startin...