The Lafayette County Courthouse was built in 1847-49 and is the oldest courthouse in constant use west of the Mississippi. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, many say this is the most beautiful of Missouri's courthouses with its simple classic-revival design.
A Civil War cannonball embedded in the east column is a relic of the Confederate victory in the 1861 Battle of Lexington. Tour the building and note the pressed tin ceiling and paintings depicting early scenes of Lafayette County. A historical marker is on the east lawn and on the north west corner is a Russell, Majors and Waddell Pony Express commemorative marker. The courthouse open to the public.
Come visit us in Lexington, Missouri