LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Milam Calaboose


category : Pioneer Life
Located across from the Milam County Historical Museum housed in the historic jail, the bid to build the 1862 calaboose was accepted by the Cameron City Council from a company called Westmoreland and Mullinax for $262.60. Calaboose was to be accepted by Mayor A. J. Lewis and City Marshall R. L. Batte. Mayor Lewis later became Sheriff of Milam County.

The Calaboose is twenty feet long, ten feet wide, and twelve feet high. Thick wooden walls are formed by the placement of two-by-four-inch timbers flat on top of each other. The floor is of similar construction. The two-by-fours are placed edgewise forming a four-inch wall. There is a door at each end and two windows, one on each side of the building in both cells. The windows have two sets of iron bars - a rounded set of twelve that is built into the facing and a flat set of nine attached on the inside. To keep out the rain and also to help keep prisoners in, wooden shutters were put on the outside. There are iron bars on each shutter which served as a lock.

On July 3, 1956 an ordinance by Councilman Thompson was issued, authorizing the renovation of the calaboose for use by the city in confinement of prisoners.

The Calaboose was moved to its present site in 1994, and restored in June of 1998.


Address: 202 Fannin St.,

Come visit us in Cameron, Texas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Magnolia House

Known as the Magnolia House and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this fully restored Victorian house was the home of prominent citizens in Cameron, Dr. Nathan and Lula Cass, for over a century. The Octagon Mode, Queen Anne style house was built in 1895

Cameron, TX Historic Homes

Milam County Historical Museum

Housed in the restored county jail, c. 1895, the Milam County Historical Museum is complete with cells, shackles, and gallows tower. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, view exhibits of pioneer farm and ranch equipment, rustic household furnishings, and Spartan "fashions"

Cameron, TX Museums

Site of First Home in Cameron

An historical marker marks the boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898) Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. L. S. Ross who was a Confederate general served as president of Texas A. &

Cameron, TX Historic Sites

Milam County Courthouse

This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County Courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891

Cameron, TX Historic Courthouses

North Elm Cemetery

Many of the Settlers of North Elm came from Alabama beginning in 1867, including John George LaGrone (1792-1870), whose dated gravestone is the oldest in this burial ground. Land for the cemetery was initially deeded by B. J. Arnold in 1883

Cameron, TX Cemeteries

Things to do Pioneer Life near Cameron, TX

Bruce Park

Right in the heart of downtown, Bruce Park is a small park that features the preserved home of William Wills. Other period it...

Sneed Log Cabin

In 1838, Joseph P. Sneed crossed the prairies on horseback to bring his family and the Bible to a new home in Texas. He and h...

Alley Log Cabin & Antique Tool Museum

This square-notch, fully furnished 1836 log cabin is an excellent example of Texas Colonial Period. The cabin was built, just...

Milam Calaboose

Located across from the Milam County Historical Museum housed in the historic jail, the bid to build the 1862 calaboose was a...