The Confederate Army kept a garrison at Mr. Vernon after the battle of Wilson's Creek (August 10, 1861), but Union Colonel John Mills' troops routed them on Feb. 18th and 19th, that next spring in ... Civil War Action in Mt. Vernon
Many know that Harold Bell Wright's, "Shepherd of the Hills" was the most widely read book of fiction in the history of publishing! Few know, however, that many of the places, events, and characters are based on actual models. There really was an "old shepherd of Mutton Hollow,&
The county's first log jail burned in 1854, and a brick structure was built on Walter Street a block west of the square. It is presently undergoing reconstruction for historical preservation. It was used until 1868, and had an original cost of $3,500.
Built in 1900 of native limestone, this is the third courthouse on this site. A statue of Justice graces the top of this historic landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The first courthouse was built of wood in 1846