The Grand Army Republic offered membership to all military personal who served in the Union Army from 1861 to 1865. The purpose was to provide camaraderie for the veterans and support for the widows and orpans of the union soldiers. The G.A.R. Hall in Nebraska City was just one of close to 100
On July 20, 1804, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark set foot on the gently sloped banks of what is now known as Nebraska City and considered it an "ideal site for a future city." About 40 years later, the original Fort Kearny was built at this spot.
A 52-room mansion that belonged to J. Sterling Morton, Founder of Arbor Day. Many of the family's original pieces fill the home. The Carriage house displays carriages used by the family. Walking trails wind through the grounds.
This two-story, Georgian brick structure is the oldest public building in
the state of Nebraska still in use. The building was completed in 1865
when Otoe County was formed and Nebraska City named the county
seat. Inside, several photos and displays portray the building's history.