Belva's Real Estate Florence Visitors Center

Nicholas Saloon

category : Historic Buildings
Nicholas Saloon The earliest fired-brick building still standing in Florence and the town's second oldest brick structure, the second Nicholas Saloon and Beer Hall was built in 1889 for John Nicholas. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Nicholas was a French-born rancher, farmer, and saloon keeper who came to town in 1880 and opened his first Beer Hall about 1886. He then moved to this building in October 1889.

One of the few structures in the historic district to include a basement which may have been used to store liquor and keep it cool, the bar also boasted a steam-powered fan to cool patrons in the summer. The Sonoran roof was constructed of log beams spaced from about 20 to 40 inches apart, with saguaro cactus ribs laid continuously across the tops of the beams. The cactus ribs are covered with a layer of straw, followed by several layers of mud (and possibly horse manure depending on the mason) resulting in a floor to ceiling dimension between 12 and 14 feet. Therefore, unlike the Nicholas Residence, the Nicholas Building still has the mud and cactus ceiling. It also still has a wood floor.

Originally, there were three entrances, two on 11th Street and one on Bailey Street. The building has been used variously as a residential dwelling and rental, and currently as an office. Current owners are Paul and Diane Marchand and John and Laura Bolognino.

Address: 47 E. 11th Street

Come visit us in Florence, Arizona

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Coke Ovens in Box Canyon

The Historic Coke Ovens, otherwise known as charcoal kilns, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, were built in 1882 along the Gila River by the Pinal Consolidated Mining Company, and are so inaccessible that their preservation is easily understood.

Florence, AZ Historic Sites

Pinal County Historical Museum

A flashback into Native American and Territorial Arizona history is your when you visit the museum. There are exhibits of 125 varieties of barbed wire, early doctor'

Florence, AZ Museums

Florence Woman's Club

The Florence Woman's Club grew from the original Florence Village Improvement Club, organized in 1897 to improve and beautify the town of Florence. Members paid 25 cents a year to Mrs. T.F Weedin to keep the club's rake under her porch.

Florence, AZ Historic Buildings

Florence Historic District

As the fifth oldest town in the state of Arizona, downtown Florence has been designated an official "Historic District" with more building listed on the National Register

Florence, AZ Historic Districts

Things to do Historic Buildings near Florence, AZ

Old Town Hall

The old Town Hall and Jail was built in 1909 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The brick bui...