LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Old Conoco Station


category : Historic Buildings
Originally there were three frame buildings at this location. The first one housed a cigar factory, the second a barber shop and the third was offices for J.B. Fields, Realtor. John Degenhardt purchased the lot and moved the buildings around the corner and built the White Eagle Service Station. His son, Leo, later operated the business as a Mobile station and then Leo's son, Jim, ran the business for awhile. This corner has quite a history; it is known as the famous Lynching Corner.

Around the turn of the 20th century a colored man murdered a man in McFarland, robbed him and threw the body in the creek at McFarland. The colored man was apprehended and put in the county jail at the old courthouse in Alma. On a Sunday afternoon about 25 men broke into the jail, put a rope around the Negro's neck, drug him down the hill to main street and strung him up on a light pole. An eyewitness of the account said that after 15-20 minutes the crowd left him for dead and Marshall William Pippert climbed the pole, cut him down and discovered his was still alive. A doctor was summoned, the man revived and rushed away to keep the lynching from re-occurring.


Address: NW Corner of 3rd and Missouri Street

Come visit us in Alma, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Wabaunsee High School

WHS serves the communities of Alma, McFarland, Paxico and Maple Hill. It was constructed in 1938 and is an example of one of the many native stone buildings located in Alma. With its limestone exterior and red tile roof, it is considered one of the most beautiful high schools in Kansas.

Alma, KS Historic Buildings

Clapboard Ravine Drive

This is a beautiful scenic seven mile drive through the Flint Hills. This drive starts just north of Alma on the gravel road heading east past the Clapboard Acres housing development. About 1 1/2

Alma, KS Scenic Drives

Wabaunsee County Court House

This beautiful building was constructed in 1931. It is constructed of Carthage and native stone. The Carthage stone, used on the outside for facing, gives the appearance of a granite building. All outside walls are backed up with eight inches of native stone.

Alma, KS Historic Courthouses



Things to do Historic Buildings near Alma, KS