Old Jefferson Town is a collection of nine restored and furnished vintage buildings from different locations around Jefferson County. They are preserved as a historic town of early day settlements. The town was named because of Jefferson County being referred to as Ol' Jefferson.
The village plan began in 1967 when Bill and Betty Leech donated 10 acres to the Jefferson County Historical Society. Since then, many buildings and attractions have been added to the site including John Steuart Curry's boyhood home and a sculpture remembering Sam Peppard and his wind wagon. Other buildings include a church, blacksmith shop with tools, one-room schoolhouse complete with dunce cap, the jail, a windmill and working tank, and a museum and gallery.
In 1988 an additional 5 acres was donated by the Leeches for a native grass and wild flower prairie. The native plants were planted by Roger Coleman.
The Museum Building was once separate buildings for the Kilgour and Plum Grove Schools before being moved to Old Jefferson Town. Although the structures were combined to make one building, it still serves a dual purpose. In the front of the building is the research library which contains numerous records, newspapers, and other information maintained by the Jefferson County Genealogical Society. In the back of the building is the museum.
This museum focuses on the businesses of the county from around the turn of the century. The display includes doctor and dentist equipment, post office windows, bank fixtures, printing equipment, barbershop chairs, blacksmith tools and millinery. There are also old county photographs and two restored buggies.
Old Jefferson Town is the headquarters of the Jefferson County Genealogical Society and is equipped with a library and research center.
Available Records Include:
census records - state and federal records from 1855 through 1920
newspapers - every issue that was printed in the county since the mid 1850's and could be obtained is available
obituaries - for people with connections to the county
cemetery records - 1850's to the present
marriage records - 1850's to 1930's
surname files military records family histories
town histories church histories
resource books - how to research family history etc...
indexes - on CD Rom, Microfische, & Books
International Genealogical Index (IGI)
Guides on how to research in other countries - Great Britain, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, Canada
Similar records are also available from the following states:
PA NJ OR CT MA RI ME NH NY MD VA SC NC TX OK AK TN KY OH IL IN IA MO
* Volunteers are available to help you during all open hours and upon special request.
* Computer, Copy Machine, Microfilm Reader, and Microfische Reader are availableOpen Hours:
All the buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
The Research Library is open Year Round on Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m., and April through November, Sundays 1:30 - 5:00 p.m. The library is operated by the Jefferson County Genealogical Society.
The Old Jefferson Town buildings are operated by Jefferson County Historical Society and open from 1st weekend in May until end of September - Saturday: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Sunday: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
For more information on Old Jefferson Town, please contact:
Margaret Dick 785-766-6342 or Mary Luse 913-683-0539
Admission: free will donation
Hours: Saturday 1-5pm Sunday 1:30-5pm
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Our Email: email@example.com
Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas