LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Plymouth Stone Schoolhouse


category : Historic Schoolhouses
Plymouth Stone Schoolhouse When the Germans settled on the Kansas high plains over a century ago, after homesteading their farm and establishing a church, the next priority was to build a schoolhouse. This schoolhouse was originally built in Russell County in the 1870's and was moved to the campus of Fort Hays State University in the fall of 1977.

This is the original Plymouth Country Schoolhouse that was built from 3,000 quarried limestone blocks in 1874 in eastern Russell County. It was dismantled block by block and reassembled at the current location along the banks of Big Creek and across the street from Tomanek Hall. The Fort Hays State University Chapter of Phi Delta Kappa completed the restoration project of the 927 square foot structure in 1979 and furnished it with school antiques and textbooks.

The subjects that were taught to the students, whose ages ranged from 5 to 21, were reading, penmanship, arithmetic, descriptive geography, physical geography, and physiology. Other subjects taught were U.S. history, declamation, drawing, algebra, and bookkeeping. Music was held by singing familiar songs parents taught their children. During recess children played games such as leap frog, baseball, follow-the-leader, marbles, drop-the-handkerchief, spin-the-bottle and tag.

Each year enrollment increased with the highest number of enrollees being 59 and with all the subjects in 8 grades it became difficult to teach in a one-room school. By 1904 attendance dropped sharply and the school closed until 1912 when it was opened for one year. It was again closed until 1915 when it reopened and stayed active until 1936. The school was then closed permanently at the end of the school year for several reasons, mainly lack of students, but also due to the depression, dust storms and drought.

The school educated approximately 150 children for eight years of their lives with at least 32 of them continuing on to become teachers.

Through the efforts of the Phi Delta Kappa Education Honorary Organization and many volunteers, the Plymouth Country Schoolhouse was saved and brought to the Fort Hays State University campus. This one room schoolhouse sits on the campus as a reminder to all of us where our education roots began and to show us how important education was to the pioneers of our area.

http://www.fhsu.edu/academic/college-of-education-and-technology/smei/Plymouth-Schoolhouse/

Fort Hays State University
600 Park
Hays, KS 67601
785-628-4000


Admission: Free Admission
Hours: Free tours arranged by appointment.
Address: Fort Hays State University - 600 Park
Phone: 785-628-4538
Our Website:www.fhsu.edu

Come visit us in Hays, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Fort Hays

Fort Hays was an important US Army post which was active from 1865 until 1889

Hays, KS Forts

Hays Arts Center Gallery

The Center is the home of the Hays Arts Council, Kansas'

Hays, KS Arts

Fort Hays State University

Fort Hays State University opened in 1902 as the Western Branch of the Kansas Normal School. For the first two years classes were held at the Fort site. In 1904 the first stone building, Picken Hall, was completed on the "flats"

Hays, KS Education Centers

Buffalo Herd

Located on US-183 Alternate, four miles south of I-70 and directly across from Historic Fort Hays is a small herd of buffalo. Free admission and visitors are welcome to view the herd from either the road that goes through Frontier Park or the access road south of the buffalo herd pasture.

Hays, KS Pioneer Life

Historic Hays Driving Tour

A self-guided driving tour to over 30 locations throughout the community provides the opportunity to see some of the most important landmarks, historic sites and points of interest in Hays. The tour begins at 27th &

Hays, KS Historic Markers

Things to do Historic Schoolhouses near Hays, KS