This memorial commemorates the Pony Express route that briefly passed through Atchson County.
"On September 14, 1861, the "Central Overland California and Pikes Peak Express Co." who were the original owners and operators of the Pony Express, moved their offices from the Patee House in St. Joseph, Missouri, to here at the "Massasoit House" which was 170 East at the Northwest corner of 2nd and Main.
The actual Pony Express was now operating to California from Ft. Kearney, Nebraska twice a week until it ceased operations on November 20, 1861. The Pony Express mail between here and Ft. Kearney was carried by stagecoach.
All Pony Express envelopes coming from California were hand canceled with Atchison as the postmark and carried the Famous Wells Fargo Pony Express Stamp. The average Pony Express letter now cost $1.00 per 1/2 ounce where the original cost was $5.00."
1994, Joe Nardone
Address: 3rd and Main Street
Come visit us in Atchison, Kansas