LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Reynold's General Store


category : Pioneer Life
Reynold's General Store Much of of the Midwest was dotted with small towns around the turn of the century. The general store was the main source of sustenance that allowed these small towns to survive. They provided food, clothing, farming materials, household items, and a few additional luxuries. Wesley Reynolds built this general store in 1887 on Main Street in McLouth, Kansas, and operated it until the 1920's.


The store is furnished with the original shelves and counters and was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1970. Although the store does not handle the capacity it once did, you can still buy handcrafted items there that have been produced by members of the Jefferson County Craft Guild.


Admission: free will donation
Hours: All buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Phone: 7857666342
Our Email: maggie2929@hotmail.com

Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Jefferson Town, Museum, and Research Library

Old Jefferson Town is a collection of nine restored and furnished vintage buildings from different locations around Jefferson County. They are preserved as a historic town of early day settlements. The town was named because of Jefferson County being referred to as Ol' Jefferson.

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Nincehelser House

William J. Nincehelser moved to Jefferson County from Ohio about 1880, married Minnie Wendorff, and moved into this house in Oskaloosa. Mr. Nincehelser had a livery stable on the square and operated a

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Sam Peppard's Wind Wagon

Samuel Peppard, a blacksmith and wagon maker during the mid 1800's, has provided the area with one of the most famous and interesting stories. While looking for adventure in the drought year of 1860

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Bowstring Bridge

Built in Cleveland, Ohio, the bowstring bridge was originally located across Rock Creek, north of Meridan, in 1875.

The 48-ft long, 14-ft wide bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990

Oskaloosa, KS National Register


Things to do Pioneer Life near Oskaloosa, KS

Old Schoolhouse/Residence

Lyndon's first school was located in the home on Madison Street shortly after Lyndon was founded in 1870. The house continued...