LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Sharpe House


category : Historic Homes
Sharpe House The house was constructed on land bought in 1911 from a Creek Indian. It was initially a teacherage - the rooming house for single female teachers. One young teacher, Carolyn Paulk-McCluskey, who resided there later married L.K. Sharpe, a local dry goods store owner. When the house became available, she and her husband bought it. For more than fifty years, it was the Sharpe family home. They remodeled it extensively over the years. One example is the front columns. The columns were taken from a pre-Civil War house outside Natchez, Mississippi, and the house was renovated to accommodate them.

When Mrs. Sharpe died, the house sat empty for some time. finally, it was purchased by Kay Kindt and Armando Corral who have attempted to restore it. It is their intent that it be a reminder of a more gracious, leisurely era. It has been scraped and painted and papered and buffed and shined, and furnished with heirlooms of the families. Today it is open as a Bed and Breakfast.


Come visit us in Checotah, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Sharpe House

The house was constructed on land bought in 1911

Checotah, OK Historic Homes

Katy Depot Museum & Information Center

The KATY DEPOT was built in 1890 and is the M.K.&T.'s oldest surviving wooden station. Checotah was established as a railhead in 1872

Checotah, OK Museums

1903 IOOF Home

One Checotah National Historic Landmark which continues the service which began just after the turn of the century is the IOOF Home. In 1902, a farm of 160 acres and $5,000 was offered by W.E. Gentry and his wife, Sallie, and was accepted by the IOOF. The local lodge, chartered in 1895

Checotah, OK Historic Buildings

Historic Downtown Checotah

Downtown Checotah is one of only 15 National Register Historic Districts in Oklahoma. Built between 1898 and 1903, many of the buildings still show the grandeur of their original architecture. Unfortunately, in 1992 the loss by fire of Checotah'

Checotah, OK Historic Districts

Honey Springs Civil War Battlefield

Honey Springs Battlefield Memorial Park has gained national prestige as being listed on the National Map of Civil War Sites. On July 17, 1863, smoke billowed and cannons roared when nearly 6,000 Confederates were defeated by 3,400 Federals just 3 1/2 miles northeast of Checotah, Oklahoma.

Checotah, OK Battlesites

Things to do Historic Homes near Checotah, OK

Mullendore Mansion

Listed on the register of historic homes...

Hogue House

The Hogue House is an original Sears & Roebuck pre-cut house purchased in Chicago in 1913 for $1,600 and delivered by train. ...