LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Signal Oak, Historical Marker


category : Historical Markers
Signal Oak, Historical Marker On this quarter acre site, overlooking three valleys -- Coal Creek, Wakarusa, and Kansas, stood with famous Signal Oak Tree. It was a stately white oak at the time of the Civil War, whose branches were used to hold signal lanterns. This Park, donated to the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society, was a gift from dedicated local historians.


Address: Simmons Hill, North First Street

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

The Historic Santa Fe Depot

The Santa Fe Depot was built in 1906 and is the only remaining depot of Kansas' first railroad south of the Kaw, the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Ft. Gibson.

It includes unique architectural features of triple arched windows, floor water cooler, dual gas/

Baldwin City, KS Railroad History

Baldwin, Historical Marker

Here, and for the next 300 miles west, Highway 56 roughly follows the old Santa Fe Trail, and frequently crosses it. White settlement began in this area in 1854, the year Kansas became a territory, and in 1855

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Kibbee Cabin

[Kibbee Cabin] The Kibbee Cabin is a reproduction of a log cabin which stood on the crest of the Santa Fe Ridge (commonly called "Big Hill") north of Baldwin where a group of Methodist ministers met to form Baker University in 1857

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Women's Bridge

The native stone and brick bridge over Tauy Creek was erected in 1890 at the request of Baldwin's first female mayor, Lucy Sullivan. Mrs. Sullivan, one of the nation's earliest woman mayors, and her all-female council distinguished themselves with community improvements such as this bridge "

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Douglas State Lake

The Douglas State Fishing Lake is located two miles northeast of Baldwin just off County Road 1055. The surface area of the lake is 200 acres with approximately 600 acres surrounding the lake.

FISHING

Baldwin City, KS Recreation

Things to do Historical Markers near Baldwin City, KS