LASR.net Homepage




Menu


St. Benedict's Abbey Church


category : Historic Churches
St. Benedict's Abbey Church Benedictine monks established St. Benedict's Abbey in the late 1850s. Today about 40 monks reside at the abbey on the northern edge of Benedictine College. The historic complex is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

The Gothic-style abbey, completed in 1929, was built from limestone quarried from caves along the river. The abbey church, designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, was completed in 1957. It features a 44-foot high nave ceiling, facing choir stalls where monks gather three times a day for common prayer and frescoes by French painter, Jean Charlot.


Hours: Tours by advanced appointment
Address: 1020 North 2nd St
Phone: 913-367-7853
Our Website:www.kansasmonks.org

Come visit us in Atchison, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Independence Park

On the Missouri river, the park offers camping, picnics, and fishing.

Atchison, KS Recreation

St. Benedict's Abbey Church

Benedictine monks established St. Benedict's Abbey in the late 1850s. Today about 40 monks reside at the abbey on the northern edge of Benedictine College. The historic complex is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Gothic-style abbey, completed in 1929

Atchison, KS Historic Churches

Atchison County Courthouse

One of 13 Kansas courthouses designed by George P. Washburn, this ashlar limestone building was completed in 1897, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The clock tower was raised an extra 12 feet from the original design so that it could be seen downtown.

Atchison, KS Historic Courthouses

Visitor Information Center

The restored Santa Fe Depot, long a community landmark, serves as a Visitor Information Center and houses the Chamber of Commerce offices.

The center provides visitors with brochures, maps, and a helpful staff who can answer questions about sightseeing in the Atchison area.

Atchison, KS Visitors Centers

Trinity Episcopal Church

This charming limestone building was completed in 1868 according to plans of Richard Upjohn, who also designed Trinity Church on New York's Wall Street. The interior has beams and pews of native black walnut and lovely stained-glass windows. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Atchison, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Historic Churches near Atchison, KS