LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Sweetwater Mill and Kilgore Bridges


category : Historic Buildings
Sweetwater Mill and Kilgore Bridges Sweetwater Mill Bridge

In November 1908 the Buffalo County Board of Supervisors adopted bridge plans prepared by the Standard Bridge Company as the county standards. The board awarded an annual bridge construction contract to Standard two months later, purchasing numerous small-scale bridges from the Omaha-based firm throughout 1909. Among the structures ordered in May was this eighty-foot pinned pony truss over Mud Creek in Beaver Township. Located at the Sweetwater Mill near the county's northern edge, the truss replaced an earlier bridge at this location, using the existing stringer approaches on both sides of the channel span in conjunction with new H-shaped steel pile bent supports for the truss. Standard completed the bridge later in 1909, using steel components rolled by Illinois Steel Company.

Although the pinned pony truss of the Sweetwater Bridge is unremarkable as a typical example of a relatively common structural type, the bridge is significant as one of the earliest and best preserved examples remaining in the state of an original Standard Bridge Company built-up H-pile substructure.

County road over Mud Creek, Sweetwater

Kilgore Bridge

By 1915 Buffalo County had spent years maintaining and repairing the long, timber pile Kilgore Bridge over the north channel of the Platte River southeast of Kearney. That February the board of supervisors voted for the structure's replacement. The board adopted standard plans developed by the state engineer, awarded an annual bridge construction contract to the Omaha Structural Steel Works, and then solicited the state engineer's advice on the "most advisable method" to construct a new span at the site of the existing bridge. In June the county placed an order with Omaha Structural Steel for the new Kilgore Bridge: a three-span pony truss on thirty-six-foot steel piling foundations. The bridge is a noteworthy example of the state's then newly-formulated pin/rigid connection technology. Additionally, the Kilgore Bridge is one of the few remaining multiple-span pinned pony trusses in Nebraska.


Address: State Highway 10 over the north channel of the Platte River, 7.1 miles southeast of Kearney

Come visit us in Kearney, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

John Barnd House

The John Barnd House, located in Kearney, is a large two-and-one-half-story frame dwelling built about 1892, and a good example of the Queen Anne style. Barnd came to Kearney in 1874, established a law practice, and later was elected Buffalo County judge for two terms. In 1888

Kearney, NE Historic Buildings


Great Platte River Road Archway Monument

The only U.S. attraction to span an interstate highway, the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument is a fantastic link to the past. Its eight stories span a distance where trappers, pioneers, the 49

Kearney, NE Museums

Hike-Bike Bridge Crane Viewing

The Hike-Bike Bridge at the Fort Kearny State Recreation Area is an excellent crane viewing location open to the public. The viewing location is an easy 1/3

Kearney, NE Recreation

Dr. A. O. Thomas House

The Thomas House was designed by Nebraska architect George A. Berlinghof in 1906 in the Neo-Classical Revival style. Dr. A. O. Thomas, a native of Illinois, was the first president of the Kearney State Normal School, now the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

Kearney, NE Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Buildings near Kearney, NE

Walter Klem House

The Walter Klem House, designed in the English Cottage style, is located in Kearney. Historic housing stock in the city pred...

Kearney Junior High School

Located in Kearney, this Neo-Classical-style building was constructed in 1925 to1926. It is a good and intact example of an e...