LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Cherokee Advocate


category : Monuments
The Cherokee Advocate

The Cherokee Advocate
Vol 1, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Thursday, September 9, 1844

As a tribute to Oklahoma's first legal newspaper, The Cherokee Advocate, was established in 1844 in a building approximately 100' from the location (of this maker.)

The marker was dedicated September 6, 1957 by the Oklahoma Press Association and the Oklahoma Professional Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi.



Come visit us in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Cherokee Capitol Building

The Cherokee Council first met in 1839

Tahlequah, OK Ethnic Heritage

Memorial to the Confederate Dead

Erected in 1913 by the Colonial William Penn Adair Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy.

Tahlequah, OK Memorials

The First Telephone

Here in September, 1885, the first telephone in Oklahoma was connected for service. It was the first telephone in the Mississippi Valley west of St. Louis. The company was organized by a group of Cherokees, namely, D.W. Lipe, L.B. Bell, R.M. Wolfe, J.S. Stapler, J.B. Stapler, and E.D. Hicks.

Tahlequah, OK Markers

Tsa-La-Gi Ancient Village

The Tsa-La-Gi Ancient Village has been hailed as one of America's finest living museums. It recreates the lifestyle of the Cherokees during the 16th century, prior to European contact. Realistic in design, the Village captures the living conditions of the Cherokee People.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Seminary Hall at Northeastern State University

This four-year regional university has a long and colorful heritage which began in 1846 when the Cherokee National Council authorized establishment of the National Male Seminary and National Female Seminary.

Tahlequah, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do Monuments near Tahlequah, OK

Historic Rough Rider Monument

Dedicated to Roosevelt's Rough Riders buried at a nearby cemetery, this is the only monument dedicated to the Rough Riders in...