LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The First Telephone


category : Markers
The First Telephone Here in September, 1885, the first telephone in Oklahoma was connected for service. It was the first telephone in the Mississippi Valley west of St. Louis. The company was organized by a group of Cherokees, namely, D.W. Lipe, L.B. Bell, R.M. Wolfe, J.S. Stapler, J.B. Stapler, and E.D. Hicks.

This monument was erected as a public service by the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company.

Adjacent to this marker is another marker reading -

John Brian ( J.B.) Stapler

- The first man to speak on the telephone west of the Mississippi from Fort Gibson to Tahlequah.


Address: Cherokee Square surrounding the Capitol Building.

Come visit us in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Seminary Hall at Northeastern State University

This four-year regional university has a long and colorful heritage which began in 1846 when the Cherokee National Council authorized establishment of the National Male Seminary and National Female Seminary.

Tahlequah, OK Historic Buildings

Tsa-La-Gi Outdoor Theater

Also located on the grounds of the Cherokee Heritage Center is the Tsa-La-Gi Theater, a 1,200

Tahlequah, OK Theatres

Tsa-La-Gi Ancient Village

The Tsa-La-Gi Ancient Village has been hailed as one of America's finest living museums. It recreates the lifestyle of the Cherokees during the 16th century, prior to European contact. Realistic in design, the Village captures the living conditions of the Cherokee People.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Cherokee National Prison

This sandstone building was erected in 1874 and originally had three stories. The third story was removed in 1925

Tahlequah, OK Historic Buildings

Memorial to the Confederate Dead

Erected in 1913 by the Colonial William Penn Adair Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy.

Tahlequah, OK Memorials

Things to do Markers near Tahlequah, OK