LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Historic Santa Fe Depot


category : Railroad History
The Historic Santa Fe Depot The Santa Fe Depot was built in 1906 and is the only remaining depot of Kansas' first railroad south of the Kaw, the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Ft. Gibson.


It includes unique architectural features of triple arched windows, floor water cooler, dual gas/electric lighting system, coal fireplace, and native limestone belt trim and buff brick veneer.


It welcomed both Presidents William Howard Taft and Theodore Roosevelt when they visited Baldwin in 1911 and 1912. William McKinley also arrived in Baldwin on this railroad for a "whistle stop" during his campaign for the Presidency.


The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and now belongs to the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society. It now serves as the departure point for the Midland Railway as well as offering historical displays of the railroad and Baldwin and Santa Fe Trail heritage.


Address: 1515 West High Street, adjacent to the grain elevator tower eight blocks west of the City Hall
Our Website:www.baldwincity.org

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Collins Library

Collins Library is the Baker University Library but also houses the Methodist Historical Library and two of the nation's top collections - The Quayle Rare Bible Collection and Rev. Coole's Ancient Chinese Coin Collection.

The library also houses an authentic 18

Baldwin City, KS Historic Libraries

Kibbee Cabin

[Kibbee Cabin] The Kibbee Cabin is a reproduction of a log cabin which stood on the crest of the Santa Fe Ridge (commonly called "Big Hill") north of Baldwin where a group of Methodist ministers met to form Baker University in 1857

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Grove and West Parks

Grove Park, Fremont and Third, and West Park, 11th and High, are tree-shaded city-owned parks equipped with children's playground areas with swings, slides, and other equipment.

Baldwin City, KS Parks

The Midland Historic Railroad

The Midland Historic Railroad began operation August 8, 1987 with a restored diesel engine, a 1923 Rock Island commuter coach and a 1950

Baldwin City, KS Railroad History

Allen (Depot) Park

Allen Park, Main and High streets in West Baldwin (formerly Media), is privately owned and maintained by the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society. While privately owned, it is open to the public and offers a ball field, play area and shelterhouse with picnic tables, running water and grills.

Baldwin City, KS Parks

Things to do Railroad History near Baldwin City, KS