LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Historic Santa Fe Depot


category : Railroad History
The Historic Santa Fe Depot The Santa Fe Depot was built in 1906 and is the only remaining depot of Kansas' first railroad south of the Kaw, the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Ft. Gibson.


It includes unique architectural features of triple arched windows, floor water cooler, dual gas/electric lighting system, coal fireplace, and native limestone belt trim and buff brick veneer.


It welcomed both Presidents William Howard Taft and Theodore Roosevelt when they visited Baldwin in 1911 and 1912. William McKinley also arrived in Baldwin on this railroad for a "whistle stop" during his campaign for the Presidency.


The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and now belongs to the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society. It now serves as the departure point for the Midland Railway as well as offering historical displays of the railroad and Baldwin and Santa Fe Trail heritage.


Address: 1515 West High Street, adjacent to the grain elevator tower eight blocks west of the City Hall
Our Website:www.baldwincity.org

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Quayle Rare Bible Collection

The Quayle Bible Collection includes over 700 volumes and manuscripts dating from hand-lettered and ornately-decorated Bibles by monks, clay tablets from 2060 BC (the time of Abraham), a synagogue roll from the 12th century made of 13

Baldwin City, KS Collections

Douglas State Lake

The Douglas State Fishing Lake is located two miles northeast of Baldwin just off County Road 1055. The surface area of the lake is 200 acres with approximately 600 acres surrounding the lake.

FISHING

Baldwin City, KS Recreation


Santa Fe Trail Ruts

The historic Santa Fe Trail which carried civilization and commerce between the East and the Mexican settlements of the southwest between 1825 and 1875

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Santa Fe Trail Well

Located three blocks north of Highway 56 on Washington Street in Baldwin (the only Palmyra street to still carry its original name), the Santa Fe Trail Well provided the first fresh water for travelers on the Trail.

Hand dug to 40 feet, it was later deepened to 70

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Things to do Railroad History near Baldwin City, KS