LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Red Cloud Opera House


category : Historic Buildings
The Red Cloud Opera House The Red Cloud Opera House, 1885, stood for many years as the jewel in Main Street's crown. Here Blind Boone played, William Jennings Bryan spoke, and it was from this stage that Willa Cather graduated in 1890 and delivered her eloquent oration, "Superstition vs. Investigation". Life, culture, and the world beyond came to young Willa Cather on this very stage, and later, the Opera House became a significant part of her fiction in works such as The Song of the Lark, My Antonia, and Lucy Gayheart. One can still read the name of Willa's brother, Douglas, and others scrawled on the stage walls.

The Opera House facility is now home to the Willa Cather Foundation offices, gallery, bookstore, and auditorium. The newly restored Red Cloud Opera House auditorium transports visitors back in time to set the mood, scene, and tone of the 1880s, when Willa Cather and her friends eagerly anticipated the arrival of traveling productions such as The Bohemian Girl and The Mikado. As Cather herself put it, "Only real people speaking the lines can give us that feeling of living along with them, of participating in their existence."

Today, the Red Cloud Opera House hosts numerous performances each year. The diverse schedule consists of theatrical plays, concerts, humanities presentations, gallery exhibits, and much more. From professional entertainers to community theatre, the Opera House has something for everyone.


Admission: Free
Address: 411 North Webster St.
Phone: 402-746-2641
Our Email: info@willacather.org
Our Website:www.WillaCather.org

Come visit us in Red Cloud, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Grace Episcopal Church

Built in 1884 on the corner of Second and Walnut, the Grace Protestant Episcopal Church was moved to its present location in 1891. The brick veneer was added sometime after 1922. Grace Episcopal Church is the church in which Willa Cather and her parents were confirmed on December 27, 1922

Red Cloud, NE Historic Churches

The Auld Public Library

The Auld Public Library, 1917-1918, is a gift of William Thomas Auld, uncle of Jessica Cather Auld's husband, J. W. (Bill) Auld. Jessica was one of Willa's younger sisters. He gave the city of Red Cloud $20,000 in early April, 1917. On April 9

Red Cloud, NE Historic Buildings

Red Cloud Post Office Murals

One of only twelve public buildings in the state of Nebraska which commissioned murals for its lobby, Red Cloud Post Office houses three works by the western artist, Archie Musick, 1941.

Red Cloud, NE Arts

Webster County Courthouse

Built in 1914, the Webster County Courthouse is a recent addition to sites already listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building as distinctive ornamentation and is of the second Renaissance Rival stylistic influence. Located on the Courthouse Square is the 1887

Red Cloud, NE Historic Courthouses

Burlington Depot

Built in 1897, the main section of Red Cloud's Burlington Depot contained sleeping quarters on the 2

Red Cloud, NE Railroad History

Things to do Historic Buildings near Red Cloud, NE

Walter Klem House

The Walter Klem House, designed in the English Cottage style, is located in Kearney. Historic housing stock in the city pred...