U. S. Cavalry Museum

category : Museums
U. S. Cavalry Museum The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley's mission changed from a frontier to a school post, this building was remodeled and became post headquarters. At that time, a new front entrance and bell tower were added. Notice the change in architectural style from the smooth "pasture" cut limestone indicative of the fort's initial construction in the 1850s to the rough, "quarry faced" stone cut indicative of construction between 1885 and 1912. This building continued as headquarters until 1948. In 1957 it became the home of the Fort Riley Museum which became the U.S. Cavalry Museum five years later.

The museum's nearly 10,000 square feet of exhibit space displays the colorful history of the American mounted horse soldier from the Revolutionary War till Operation Desert Storm. Included in the Museum's collection are uniforms, weapons equipment and other memorabilia.

Old Glory Antiques & Crafts Gift Shop
Store in Museum. (785) 239-2743.

Admission: Free or Donations
Hours: Monday - Saturday 9am - 4:30pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm
Closed during major holidays.
Address: Bldg. #205, on Henry Street, situated between Custer and Sheridan Avenue on Main Post.
Phone: 785-239-2737

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Post Headquarters - Summerall Hall

Constructed in 1889, this building originally served as the post hospital until after World War II, when primary medical facilities were moved to Camp Whiteside. It is named after General Charles P. Summerall, who was an early commander of the 1

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Post Cemetery

Beyond the Ogden Monument is the Post Cemetery. In the area nearest the Ogden Monument are mass graves of persons who died in two cholera epidemics which struck the post in 1855 and 1867

Fort Riley, KS Cemeteries

Trolley Station

The Trolley Station was used as a baggage storage and waiting area for soldiers and families riding the inter-city trolley between Junction City and Fort Riley from 1901 until 1907. In 1907

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

St. Mary's Chapel

As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850'

Fort Riley, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Museums near Fort Riley, KS

Ellet Museum

Housed in a one-room schoolhouse built by Col. Ellet in the 1880s, the collection includes the written and pictorial history ...