War Memorials

category : Memorials
War Memorials Proudly placed on the front lawn of the Kiowa County Courthouse are two statues of a "Doughboy" and a sailor. Originally cast in 1929, these military figures had once stood as a war memorial on State Highway 9.

In February of 1969, Hobart resident, Vernard Holbrook, "found" the four bronze statues in storage in the top of a State Highway Department barn. They had been there since they were removed from each end of the bridge across the North Fork of the Red River. There were 2 "Doughboys" and 2 sailors with one pair being stored in the Hobart American Legion Building and the other pair in the town of Granite. The bridge had been designated the AMERICAN LEGION MEMORIAL BRIDGE on March 1, 1929 (House Bill #149), a gala event attended by Gov. Holloway and other dignitaries.

Each statue was badly vandalized. It took Vernard NINE years to find someone who could restore the bronze statues. Ironically, the man restoring them was James A. Pitt of Del City, OK, formerly of Hobart. The bronze statues were originally bought from The American Doughboy Studio at a cost of $5,460 total for four. Kiowa County and Greer County each paid $2,500.00 with the Legion Posts paying the difference. They were designed by an Indiana Sculptor, E.M. Viquesy. The restoration for only 2 of the statues, which are on the Kiowa County Courthouse Square cost $3,850.00 and at that time in 1978, it was learned EACH of the statues were worth $30,000.00. A drive to raise funds for the restoration was started in July 1978. The drive raised a few extra dollars which Mr. Holbrook used to build the six concrete benches near the statues. He mounted American Legion emblems into the seats. They were officially re-dedicated to honor "VETERANS OF ALL WARS" on Veterans Day, November, 1978.

In December 1979, they were again vandalized, with the rifle, bayonet and hand of the Doughboy being stolen. Once again Mr. Holbrook came to their rescue. He promised no charges would be filed if the PARTS would be returned. A week later the rifle was returned and the next day the bayonet and hand were also recovered. There is a time capsule in the granite base of one of the statues to be opened at a later date. The American Legion Post 117 did much of the work along with Vernard to get the statues mounted on the square to honor all Veterans, past, present and future. In addition, the statues would not have been restored without the generosity of many people.

Come visit us in Hobart, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Carnegie Public Library

The Carnegie Public Library was established and built in 1912 with the donation of City lots by an individual and a Carnegie Foundation grant of $10,000. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, and in 1987

Hobart, OK Carnegie Libraries

Old City Hall

The building was constructed for the use as the City Hall in 1912 by the City Administration. All city offices were located there, including the 2-horse Fire Department. Its upper floor was an auditorium, seating 1200. Through the 1930

Hobart, OK Historic Buildings

Kiowa County Museum

The Kiowa County Museum occupies the historic Rock Island Depot listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1909 and used until the 1970s. The Kiowa County Historical Society acquired the site in 1987

Hobart, OK Museums

Hunter Park Lake

Hunter Park is a 25-acre recreational area surrounding Hunter Park Lake. The park has areas for children to play, a pavilion for families to gather for large reunions or for quiet picnics while tossing a line the lake for an afternoon of fishing.

Hobart, OK Recreation

The Great Western Cattle Trail

When driving between Lone Wolf in Kiowa County and Granite in Greer County, on Highway 9, or west out of Sentinel on Highway 55, even the natives of the area have trouble imagining six million Texas Longhorn cattle with hundreds of trail bosses, chuckwagons, and remudas of 40 to 50

Hobart, OK Landmarks

Things to do Memorials near Hobart, OK