The old rock Wheelock church is the oldest church building in Oklahoma, built in 1846. Across the road is a cemetery, the final resting place of reverend Alfred Wright, physician and missionary to the Choctaw Indians who translated the New Testament and many other books into their native language.
The Wheelock Academy located near the church, was built in 1832 by Reverend Wright and was established as a seminary for girls in 1842 by the Choctaw Council. The academy remains as a monument to the pioneer education of Indian girls.
Address: Located near Millertown, southwest of Broken Bow on Highway 70
Come visit us in Broken Bow, Oklahoma