LASR.net Homepage




Menu


World War II POW Camp


category : Military History
World War II POW Camp A World War II POW Camp was located just south of Alva in the 1940s. More than 5,000 prisoners were interned at a time when the population of Alva itself was only 3,500.

Items retained from the camp are on display in the Cherokee Strip Museum including a remarkable sculpture of an eagle that was hand carved by German Prisoners of War while at the camp.POW Sculpture

In nearby Waynoka, in the southern part of Woods County, German POWs were also interned in a church basement. In the 1980s a cache of paintings was discovered in the walls of the church. The paintings now hang in the Congregational Church Museum.


Come visit us in Alva, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Churches

The Alva Friends Church was established in 1901 and located at this spot in 1919 as Alva's first Church. The Fire Bell was Fire Bellplaced in this church in Wichita, Kansas, in 1893, and was moved to Alva, Oklahoma, in 1895.

Alva, OK Historic Churches

Centennial Marker

The Alva Centennial Marker ( 1893 - 1993) is "dedicated to the Cherokee Outlet's pioneers whose sacrifices made the prairie bloom and provided the descendants with a proud heritage."

Alva, OK Historical Markers

Outdoor Murals

The Cherokee Strip Land Run - Robert Cooke, 1998 Northwest wall at 6th and College

Alva, OK Arts


World War II POW Camp

A World War II POW Camp was located just south of Alva in the 1940s. More than 5,000 prisoners were interned at a time when the population of Alva itself was only 3,500.

Alva, OK Military History

Things to do Military History near Alva, OK