Be dazzled by the kaleidoscope of colors in a self-guided tour of stained glass windows in churches throughout the county. Don't miss the historic Brown Grand Theatre and Nazareth Convent in Concordia. Pum water by the windmill inside the Cloud County Historical Museum in the old Carnegie Library in Concordia. Walk across the stone arch bridge in Rice and savor the quiet. Watch migratory birds at the Jamestown Waterfowl Area or bald eagles on the Republican River. Feast your eyes on spectacular sunsets. Enjoy the relaxed, uncrowded, friendly atmosphere of Cloud County in North Central Kansas.
Cloud County history began in controversy, first over the name of the county and then over the location of the county seat. When the township was first formed in 1859 it was named Shirley by Riley County territorial legislator, D.L. Chandler, after Massachusett's Governor Shirley. However, rumor ran that the name referred to a lady of questionable character from the Ft. Riley area, so a bill was passed to change the name in honor of Col. William F. Cloud, a highly respected Civil War officer of the 2nd Kansas Cavalry.
The town of Clyde located on the north side of the Republican River was established and a logical site for the county seat. However, when the industrious James Hagaman decided to build and develop in Clyde, the city fathers dubiously modified their original transaction, and Hagaman vied he would never let Clyde become the county seat and took out his claim south of the river, founded Concordia, and developed it to become the permament county seat.
Explore Cloud County
From 1943 to 1945 during WWII over 4,000 Germans were held in an internment camp where they experienced a type of freedom they had never known at home. Located on 157.5 acres, Camp Concordia consisted of 308 buildings. Today, a guard tower, guard post building, water tower base and building T-9Concordia, KS Military History
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally build as a bank, until recently it housed the offices of the Harris's playground equipment company. It has recently been purchased by Dr. Wentz who is in the process of preserving this beautiful building.Concordia, KS Historic Buildings
Known as the beacon light of Concordia, the well-known rose window looks over the community from the convent. It is the official Motherhouse and Home for the 260 Sisters of St. Joseph of Concordia. It was built in 1903 and is listed in the National Register of Historic SitesConcordia, KS Historic Churches