Normally, the limestone quarries were opened on the hillsides so only the overburden had to be removed, exposing a layer of limestone, usually about 8" thick. The rock was soft and relatively easy to work until exposed to the air when it quickly dried and hardened. Thus limestone fence posts became an identifying feature of the area rather than wooden fence posts. The beautiful limestone homes and courthouses are a reflection of the early day buildings.
Mitchell County was formed in 1870. It was named in honor of Capt. W . D. Mitchell, a Union Army officer who died in a battle at Monroe's Cross Roads in North Carolina in March 1865.
The first settlers in the area located near Solomon Rapids in 1865. Their cattle were run off by the Indians in 1866, forcing them to abandon their homestead. The town of Asherville was plotted in 1866. That year there was only one log cabin on the present site of Beloit, which was known as Willow Springs.
Mitchell County surrounds beautiful Lake Waconda - Glen Elder. The lake's surface area of 12,586 acres and 100 miles of shoreline afford ample room for many water-related activities. In addition to the water acreage, more than 13,200 acres of land are managed for public recreation.
Explore Mitchell County
Built in 1901 for a total of $38,310. of 8" pitchfaced native limestone, of Richardsonian Romanesque design. The Seth Thomas four-faced clock in the courthouse tower was installed in 1904 and paid for by donations. Originally run by hand, the clock was electrified in 1950. Of the 25 rooms on 3Beloit, KS Historic Courthouses
A structure built of native limestone completed in 1904 in the form of a Latin Cross of Romanesque and Gothic style. It was the first church built in the United States with flying buttresses and an entire stone ceiling. The twin towers are 100' tall, 108' including the crosses adorning each tower.Beloit, KS Historic Churches
Built in 1886, the Cawker City United Methodist Church Organ is the oldest church organ in Kansas. Henry Pilcher's Sons of Louisville, Kentucky built the organ for the congregational church in Kinsley, Kansas. At the time, it was the only organ in Kansas west of Emporia. In 1931Cawker City, KS Historic Churches
Beloit has a well maintained system of parks and recreation facilities. The city has 4 parks covering 50.2 acres. There are six reservoirs and lakes within 60 miles of Beloit, the closest being Waconda Lake located 11 miles west. Beloit's annual events include a county-wide 4Beloit, KS Recreation
Lakeside Golf Course is a 9-hole artificial turf course built in 1994 and open to the public. It was designed by Dave Cunningham. Weekday green fees for non-members are $3.00 for 9 holes during peak season. Weekend green fees for non-members are $3.00 for 9 holes during peak season. Yardage: 522Cawker City, KS Golf Courses
The museum, organized in 1971, has four floors of displays featuring historical items of Mitchell County. The building was formerly a nurses home built in 1929 in a "Williamsburg" design. Displays include: Dishes, quilts, guns, china head dolls, iron toys, old maps, 400 bells, an 1867Beloit, KS Museums
When Col. William Newton Kinslow died in Beloit on Oct. 18, 1948, many attended his funeral, but no one bought him a head stone to mark his final resting place. At 6'7", Kinslow was a member of the National Society of Longfellows and at one time was listed as the second tallest man in Kansas.Beloit, KS Pioneer Life