LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Milam County, TX

Milam County , TXRobert Leftwich, a representative for the Texas Association of Nashville, Tennessee, obtained a colonization grant from Mexico in 1825 that included the Milam County area. The grant's boundaries followed the Navasota River, turned southwest along the San Antonio road to the divide between the Brazos and the Colorado rivers, then northwest to the Comanche Trail, and east back to the Navasota.

It was during the first Congress of the Republic of Texas that the municipality came to be called Milam County. At that time the boundaries of the county were roughly the same as those of the colony granted to Leftwich, comprising one-sixth of the land area of Texas.

By 1850, with the exception of a small area between Williamson and Bell counties, Milam County had been reduced to its present size. The county is predominantly rural with two cities: the county seat, Cameron, and Rockdale.
MilamBellCoryellComancheBrown
Hamilton
Mills
Eastland
Erath
LampasasHamiltonMills
BurlesonLee
Callahan
Falls
Haskell
McLennanBosqueComanche
Eastland
Erath
Hamilton
Jones
Palo Pinto
Parker
Shackelford
Stephens
Throckmorton
YoungWichita
Coryell
JohnsonHood
Somerville
RobertsonBrazos
Dallas
LeonMadison
LimestoneFalls
Freestone
McLennan
NavaroEllis
Hill
Johnson
McLennan
Palo Pinto
Parker
Tarrant
WilliamsonBurnet

Explore Milam County

S. S. Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church

Through the efforts of fellow immigrant Joseph Russek, many Czech families came to this area of Milam County in the 1880s. The first Catholic Mass in the Maraksville settlement was conducted by a visiting priest in the Kaspar Kubecka home in 1883, and later services were held in other homes. In 1889

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

Milam Calaboose

Located across from the Milam County Historical Museum housed in the historic jail, the bid to build the 1862 calaboose was accepted by the Cameron City Council from a company called Westmoreland and Mullinax for $262.60

Cameron, TX Pioneer Life

Magnolia House

Known as the Magnolia House and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this fully restored Victorian house was the home of prominent citizens in Cameron, Dr. Nathan and Lula Cass, for over a century. The Octagon Mode, Queen Anne style house was built in 1895

Cameron, TX Historic Homes

Site of First Home in Cameron

An historical marker marks the boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898) Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. L. S. Ross who was a Confederate general served as president of Texas A. &

Cameron, TX Historic Sites

The Bridges of Milam County

Some of Milam county's 100-plus steel bridges from the 1900 era are still in use today. Brushy Creek Bridge once spanned Bushy Creek south of Thorndale until it was moved to Cameron'

Cameron, TX Historic Bridges

St. Monica's Catholic Church

Founded in 1883, the congregation of St. Monica's Catholic Church erected this structure in 1927-28

Cameron, TX Historic Churches


City in Miniature

John Johnson has created a model of Cameron that recalls the town as it looked during the 1940s. For more than 25

Cameron, TX Museums

Milam County Courthouse

This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County Courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891

Cameron, TX Historic Courthouses

First United Methodist Church of Cameron

This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church. Until 1885

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

Milam County Historical Museum

Housed in the restored county jail, c. 1895, the Milam County Historical Museum is complete with cells, shackles, and gallows tower. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, view exhibits of pioneer farm and ranch equipment, rustic household furnishings, and Spartan "fashions"

Cameron, TX Museums

North Elm Cemetery

Many of the Settlers of North Elm came from Alabama beginning in 1867, including John George LaGrone (1792-1870), whose dated gravestone is the oldest in this burial ground. Land for the cemetery was initially deeded by B. J. Arnold in 1883

Cameron, TX Cemeteries

Explore Milam County