Cameron, Texas

The county seat of Milam County, Cameron was established in 1846, and is located on the Little River. It was named for Ewen Cameron, a Scot highlander prominent in the Texas Revolution; the county was named for another independence fighter, Ben Milam, whose statue is on the courthouse grounds. The downtown has been revitalized, with the renovation of the historic courthouse and an 1891 Victorian-style building that now serves as Cameron City Hall. Enjoy a walking tour of the historic downtown; experience history and progress coming together.

Cameron lies at the crossroads of U.S. 77 and Texas 36, a segment of the Ports to Plains Highway connecting the state's heartland to the coastal ports.

Be sure to visit the restored Victorian homes, the Magnolia Inn and Travis Tea Room, for tours, lodging, and dining.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Milam County Historical Museum

Housed in the restored county jail, c. 1895, the Milam County Historical Museum is complete with cells, shackles, and gallows tower. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, view exhibits of pioneer farm and ranch equipment, rustic household furnishings, and Spartan "fashions"

Cameron, TX Museums

Milam County Courthouse

This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County Courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891

Cameron, TX Historic Courthouses

First United Methodist Church of Cameron

This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church. Until 1885

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

All Saints Episcopal Church

Episcopal worship services were held in Cameron as early as 1860, though All Saints Episcopal Church was not organized as a mission until 1901. The Diocese of Texas purchased this property from A. J. and Jennie Dossett in 1906. This structure was completed in 1907

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

S. S. Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church

Through the efforts of fellow immigrant Joseph Russek, many Czech families came to this area of Milam County in the 1880s. The first Catholic Mass in the Maraksville settlement was conducted by a visiting priest in the Kaspar Kubecka home in 1883, and later services were held in other homes. In 1889

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

Things to do near Cameron, TX

Amon G. Carter Boating

Both Selma and Big Sandy Creek parks have boat ramps. SELMA PARK * Located off Texas 59 south of Bowie. Turn south on F...

Glen Garden Golf & Country Club

Course Access: Semi-PrivateHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: 7 days...

Woodbridge Golf Club

Course Access: PublicHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: Yes...

Grayson County College Golf Course

Course Access: PublicHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: 2 days...