In 1802, a band of 400-500 Osage Indians from Missouri, led by Chief Glahmo, settled on a 25 acre mound along the Verdigris River to establish a fur trading post. Then in 1817, through a number of treaties, the Cherokee Indians were given this land, and the Osage were moved to a reservation that is now the area of Osage County.
Rogers County was created at statehood in 1907 and named for Clem V. Rogers, a Cherokee elder member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention, and father of famed Will Rogers.
Explore Rogers County
The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.Claremore, OK Historic Courthouses
Will Rogers would feel right at home at the Dog Iron Ranch where he was born in 1879. The birthplace, located just a few miles northeast of Oologah, is now a living history ranch. Hand-hewed logs frame the room where Will Rogers was born on a sprawling frontier ranch. A recorded message by Will'Oologah, OK Famous Homes
The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907Claremore, OK Historic Churches
Rogers University Conservation Education Reserve is a 120 acre natural resource conservation education facility adjacent to the main campus of Rogers University. Bird watching, wildlife observation, outdoor photography, walking trails, picnicking, and fishing are available.Claremore, OK Learning Centers
The First Presbyterian Church occupies a corner lot in one of Claremore's oldest residential areas. The congregation of the First Presbyterian Church of Claremore was organized in 1887 and services were held in homes until the Gothic Revival style building was constructed in 1902, 5Claremore, OK Historic Churches
The WILL ROGERS HOTEL, listed on the National Register of Historic Places was dedicated in 1930. The fireproof structure of concrete and steel originally contained 78 rooms and 7 apartments. During World War II, it was designated as a bomb shelter. Mineral water baths called "radium water"Claremore, OK Historic Hotels