LASR.net Homepage



Menu


Claremore, Oklahoma

Claremore, Oklahoma

We invite you to visit where we live, where the likes of Will Rogers grew up, along with astronaut Stuart Roosa, and Mrs. Sam (Helen) Walton, the recently retired JC Penney Chairman of the Board, W.R. Howell, where singer Pattie Page was born, where long-time and famous rodeo announcer, Clem McSpadden lives, where author Lynn Riggs wrote about his youth growing up in the area through his story "Green Grow the Lilacs" which Rodgers and Hammerstein transformed into the beautiful production of "Oklahoma!" Andy Payne from the Foyil area won the first "transcontinental" foot race referred to as the Bunion Derby in 1928. Who knows what future notables are growing up here now!

Claremore History

What is now Claremore, Oklahoma was once a vast wilderness practically uninhabited except for wild animals. In 1802, a band of Osage Indians settled on a 25 acre mound along the Verdigris River. The mound became known as Clermont, French for "clear mountain" and Glahmo, the osage chief became known as Chief Clermont. After the infamous "Trail of Tears", the Cherokees were given title to the land, and the Osage were removed to a reservation, later called Osage County.

The Cherokees were remarkable people. They prospered, organized constitutional governments, established towns, published newspapers, magazines and books, and established an extensive educational system. The Historic Tour of Claremore is not just about places, but the story of people and the Indian heritage that is woven together to make this a little city with a big Hall of Fame.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Belvidere

This magnificent Victorian mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was started circa 1902

Claremore, OK Museums

Rogers State University

When Oklahoma was granted statehood, the first legislature established Eastern University Preparatory School, which opened on College Hill in Claremore in 1909

Claremore, OK Colleges

First Presbyterian Church

The First Presbyterian Church occupies a corner lot in one of Claremore's oldest residential areas. The congregation of the First Presbyterian Church of Claremore was organized in 1887 and services were held in homes until the Gothic Revival style building was constructed in 1902, 5

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

Rogers County Courthouse

The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.

Claremore, OK Historic Courthouses

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House

An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do near Claremore, OK

Old Will Rogers Library

The Old Will Rogers Library is now occupied by the City of Claremore. A year before his death, Will Rogers donated his lots i...

Appalachia Bay ORV Area

Located on Keystone Lake, this 600 acre area is maintained by the Corps of Engineers. Many of the locals refer to this area a...

Delaware County Historical Museum

Indian artifacts, historical items. ...

Picher Mining Field Museum, Inc

Lead and Zinc specimens, artifacts. ...