The Canton Ferry is the longest continually operating ferry service on the Mississippi River.
The first known ferry service began operation a few miles north of Canton around 1844. This ferry carried on a prosperous business providing not only local transportation, but also serving as a gateway to the west for many covered wagon caravans and gold seeking forty-niners.
Early Canton ferries were powered by two horses walking on treadmills connected to paddlewheels. Today the Canton ferry is powered by two 195 horsepower V-6 diesel engines.
On Feb 24, 1853 the first recorded Canton ferry service charter was granted to Christian University (now Culver-Stockton College). This ferry was called the Lewis-Adams presumably named after the two immediate counties served... Lewis County, MO. & Adams County IL... Fares set-forth by this initial charter were; Footmen 10c. Team and Wagon 50c.
Admission: Cars & Pickups $5 one way, $9 Round trip
Hours: Mon-Fri 7am-7pm..........Sat-Sun 8am-7pm
Address: Mississippi Riverfront
Come visit us in Missouri, Missouri