The origin of the First Congregational Church of Pierce City occurred when Rev. J.H. Harwood, a Congregational minister, was on his way from Springfield to Neosho to fulfill an engagement and failed to make a stage connection. The heavy rains forced him to remain overnight in Pierce City and in roaming about the city, he fell into conversation with L.L.L. Allen. The result was an arrangement for services to be held the next day in a hall over Fall and Flowers Hardware store on Commercial Street. While no record of this date appears, it was probably in the fall of 1870.
In 1875, the congregation, now numbering forty-five, finished building their own church, and Rev. T.A. Wickes was called as the first resident pastor. The church was struck by lightening in 1880, damaging the tower. In 1887 the church building was extended 20 feet to the east line of the lot, and again in 1902-03, the building was remodeled and enlarged. W.H. Thompson of St. Louis, a lifelong friend of L.L.L. Allen, gave the Estey pipe organ now in use, to the church.
The church's bell tower, which was destroyed in the May 4, 2003 tornado that damaged many Pierce City buildings, has been replaced. The new bell tower was raised on July 3, 2003 and other repairs have been completed on the historic building. The congregation resumed services in the Fellowship Hall of the damgaged building the first Sunday in June 2003. The historic organ was repaired in 2004. Regular services resumed in the repaired sanctuary during the summer of 2003.
YOU ARE INVITED TO FIRST CONGREGATIONAL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST!
Join us for Sunday worship service at 10 a.m.
Meet new pastor Rev. Kemery Baldwin at the 10 a.m. worship service!
visit our web page at: http://www.freewebs.com/firstcongregationalucc/
Come visit us in Missouri, Missouri