The cornerstone for this magnificent city landmark was laid in 1894 at a building cost of $35,000. The courthouse, built of native Kansas limestone, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was completely refurbished in 1980. The 105 foot tower houses a tower clock which was converted to electricity in 1948. Almost no changes have been made to the outside of the building in its century of life. It is a prime example of the Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style of Kansas' 19th Century courthouses.
Address: Maple and Kansas Avenue
Tours available by appointment.
Come visit us in Kansas, Kansas