After three previous structures were destroyed by fire, the present Parker County Courthouse was begun in 1884 and dedicated in 1886. Designed by architect Wesley Clarke Dobson of Waco who designed nine other Texas courthouses, the Victorian building is constructed of limestone quarried locally at a cost of $55,555.55. The seal inside marks the exact center of the county.
The exterior of the Parker County Courthouse was restored in the early 1990s. The original interior configuration and finishes have now been restored as well. The district courtroom, one of the largest in the state, was restored to its original size. The courtroom originally featured decorative wall and ceiling painting, small wood balconies and patterned floor coverings, all of which have been restored. The original floor pattern was recreated in carpet. The mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems have been replaced and the courthouse made accessible to people with disabilities.
Address: Downtown Square
Come visit us in Texas, Texas