An historical marker marks the boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898) Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. L. S. Ross who was a Confederate general served as president of Texas A. & M. College after holding office as governor. His father Shapley P. Ross, Indian agent and Ranger, built the house after moving here about 1841; he chose this site because it had a good spring.
An 1890 pavilion still stands today as it was erected in this location of the City Park to accommodate band concerts, meetings, and rallies. It was the scene in 1892 of a landmark debate between two gubernatorial candidates: Gov. James S. Hogg and George Clark.
Address: 4th St. and Lamar Ave.
Come visit us in Texas, Texas