LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Battle of Black Jack


category : Battlesites
Battle of Black Jack This battle was part of the struggle to make Kansas a free state. In May, 1856, Pro-slavery men destroyed buildings and newspaper presses in Lawrence, Free-State headquarters. John Brown's company then killed 5 Pro-slavery men on Pottawatomie Creek not far from this spot. In retaliation Henry C. Pate raided near-by Palmyra and took 3 prisoners. Early on the morning of June 2, Brown attacked Pate's camp in a grove of Black Jack Oaks about 1/4 miles south of this sign. Both sides had several wounded and numerous desertions before Pate and 28 men surrendered, Brown claiming he had only 15 men left. As evidence of civil war, this site received much publicity, and excited both the North and South.

Erected by Kansas Historical Society and State Highway Commission.

The Park is open from dawn to dusk, year-round for self-guided tours. Guided Battlefield tours are given weekend afternoons at 1:00 from May through mid October.


Address: 3 Miles east of Baldwin City, KS on U.S. Highway 56
Phone: 785-883-2106
Our Email: info@blackjackbattlefield.org
Our Website:www.blackjackbattlefield.org

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Case Hall

Case Hall is Baker University's first library building. Completed in 1907 with a grant from the Carnegie Foundation it is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its innovated construction for the time.

It was designed by Baker'

Baldwin City, KS National Register

Parmenter Hall

Parmenter Hall with its distinguishing tower, is the first building actually built on the Baker University campus and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places . The cornerstone was laid in June, 1866, but lack of financing delayed completion until 1881

Baldwin City, KS National Register

Quayle Rare Bible Collection

The Quayle Bible Collection includes over 700 volumes and manuscripts dating from hand-lettered and ornately-decorated Bibles by monks, clay tablets from 2060 BC (the time of Abraham), a synagogue roll from the 12th century made of 13

Baldwin City, KS Collections

The Historic Santa Fe Depot

The Santa Fe Depot was built in 1906 and is the only remaining depot of Kansas' first railroad south of the Kaw, the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Ft. Gibson.

It includes unique architectural features of triple arched windows, floor water cooler, dual gas/

Baldwin City, KS Railroad History

Area History Mural

The mural depicting area history was painted by local artist, Tom Russell. It is displayed in the Baldwin State Bank.

Baldwin City, KS Arts

Things to do Battlesites near Baldwin City, KS