Bell-Jenne House Museum

category : Museums
Bell-Jenne House Museum

This Italiante-style house was built in 1881 and features an unusual decorative hardwood floor in the sitting room, classic furniture, painting by noted regional artist, Alice Cleaver, and details of political interest; such as, the coat and tails worn by Governor Arthur Weaver at his 1929 inauguration.

Originally it was the dream home of a thirty-one year old widower, George A. Bell, and his twenty-one year old fiancee, Kate Helfrich. After their marriage, they purchased land at the north edge of Falls city. The "Falls City News" of April 7, 1881, revealed that the Bells were building a two-story house, 26 feet by 40 feet, with eight rooms at the cost of $3,000. On December 31, 1881, the same paper announced that the house actually cost $4,000. Two months later, the Bells and Ethel, George's child by his first marriage, moved into their new dream-come-true house. By 1889, George's ambition outgrew Falls City; therefore, the family moved to Omaha where the businessman established a livestock commission firm, Bell, Shelly and McCoy.

Seven months later, Florence Jenne, the wife of W.W. Jenne, recorded the deed for the Harlan Street property. The Jenne family owned the house from 1889 to 1939 - longer than any other family.

When Richardson County Historical Society was organized in July, 1986, members decided to publish the fact that they needed a building. Two months later, Muriel I. Kreuger Morris, in memory of her late husband, Leonard G. Krueger, expressed her desire to donate the brick house. After an initial restoration period, members of the Richardson County Historical Society held a dedication service opened to the public on August 16, 1992.

Over a hundred years ago, the George A. Bells used their dreams, plans and money to build a home in a pioneer community. Today many people are generously working with the same incentives to provide an ideal place to preserve the past for future generations.

Hours: Belle-Jenne House tours are conducted weekends from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Address: Corner of 20th and Harlan Street (Hwy 73)
Phone: 402-245-4228

Come visit us in Falls City, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Prichard Auditorium

The community's most used public building is referred to as "The Jewel of southeast Nebraska." Held under this massive roof are sporting events, craft shows, home shows, musicals, and many other events. The building was constructed during the Great Depression in the 1930

Falls City, NE Auditoriums

Hotel Stephenson

The historic Hotel Stephenson, built in 1925, is located amongst the cobblestone streets of downtown Falls City. It has been restored and still remains as a lodging establishment with 20

Falls City, NE Historic Hotels

Richardson County Courthouse

The Richardson County Courthouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was completed in 1925 to replace a wooden courthouse which was destroyed by fire. The then county commissioners commissioned architect W.F. Gernandt to build a fire proof structure for $200,000

Falls City, NE Historic Courthouses

Stanton Lake Park

Stanton Lake Park is a beautiful lake site for picnics, day activities, or camping.

The camping area has trailer hookups for water, electricity, and sewer. The park also has showers, a dumping station, lake fishing, picnic shelter areas, playground equipment, and sand volleyball courts. Falls City, NE Recreation

Things to do Museums near Falls City, NE