LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Black Dog Trail Marker


category : Ethnic Heritage
Black Dog Trail Marker The Osage Indians were a dominant population in what was to be Southeast Kansas, and their influence had a positive effect on Caney. Chief Black Dog cleared a trail 30 horses wide, starting at the Osage camp where Baxter Springs, Kansas, is now located, and he used it as a route to places where he could replenish food and other supplies. As the tribe pushed ever westward, a camp was established near the Cana River northwest of Caney, and Osage Indians remained there for many years, residents of the area known as the "Diminished Reserve" of the Osages. In 1870, the Osages were moved to Osage County in Oklahoma, Indian Territory.

The marker designates the temporary campsite used by Black Dog and the Osage at the Caney River crossing.


Address: Wark Memorial Park, 300 East 4th

Come visit us in Caney, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Opera House/Elk's Hall

The popular Truskett Opera House which was built in 1907 burned along with other businesses in 1910 having a $50,000 loss. The Caney Elk's Club acquired the opera house facilities and rebuilt a building for club use. Their "Elk's Hall"

Caney, KS Opera Houses

Safari Zoological Park

Welcome to the Safari Zoological Park. The Park was established in 1989 for the purpose of saving endangered animals and was opened to the public in 1994. See our magnificent animals, lions, tigers and bears, plus jaguars and black leopards. There's alligators, lemurs, baboons and much more!

Caney, KS Zoos

Little White School House

The first school, built in 1870, was a log cabin provided by Berryman Smith. The teacher, Mrs. O.M. \"Billie\" Smith, had 25 students enrolled. Bonds for the next school building, the Little White School House, were sold to raise $1,800 and the school was built in 1872 for $900

Caney, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Civil War Cannon

Wark Memorial Park is also the location of the "Walkingstick," an old cannon of Civil War vintage which is one of fewer than 75 of its kind in the nation.

Caney, KS Monuments

Hotel and Stage Coach Stop

This 1889 Hotel and Stage Coach Stop was constructed from native sandstone quarried from Chochran's Hill north of Caney. The basement was used to store winter ice cut from the Caney River.

Caney, KS Historic Buildings

Things to do Ethnic Heritage near Caney, KS

Little Bear Mound

Little Bear Mound is a hill just north of the Neodesha Cemetery. The Chief of the Little Osages was buried near the highest p...