Little Bear Mound is a hill just north of the Neodesha Cemetery. The Chief of the Little Osages was buried near the highest point of this hill after he died of pneumonia on January 15, 1867, in his wigwam in the Indian village, then located in the bend of Fall River just south across the present highway where the Neodesha Fair Grounds are now located. Dr. A. McCartney, a physician and one of the original four partners in the Neodesha Town Company who named the city and built the Little Bear Trading Post, attended his good friend, Chief Little Bear, during his last illness.
The Little Osage tribe lived here before moving in 1870 to Indian Territory 30 miles south, now Oklahoma.
Come visit us in Neodesha, Kansas