LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Blacksmith Shop


category : Pioneer Life
The blacksmith shop was an important part of the rural community. Blacksmiths kept the town in working order the same way an auto mechanic does today. They supplied horseshoes, farming tools, and could shape just about anything a person wanted. This blacksmith shop was built in 1983, a replica of blacksmith shops that inhabited almost every small town at one time. It is furnished with tools that were used early in this century in the blacksmith shop of Archie Brown, McLouth, Kansas.


Admission: free will donation
Hours: All buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Phone: 7857666342
Our Email: maggie2929@hotmail.com

Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Winchester Jail

Built in 1909, this jail came from the town of Winchester, Kansas. Since it was not fireproof, it was never locked. It was a place for drunks and tramps to sleep. The jail was a meeting place for the city council, police court and voting.

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Old Jefferson Town, Museum, and Research Library

Old Jefferson Town is a collection of nine restored and furnished vintage buildings from different locations around Jefferson County. They are preserved as a historic town of early day settlements. The town was named because of Jefferson County being referred to as Ol' Jefferson.

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Nincehelser House

William J. Nincehelser moved to Jefferson County from Ohio about 1880, married Minnie Wendorff, and moved into this house in Oskaloosa. Mr. Nincehelser had a livery stable on the square and operated a

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Edmonds Chapel

Edmonds Chapel stood 4 1/2 miles north of McLouth, Kansas, for more than 75 years. Edmonds Church was an affiliate of the United Brethren in Christ (UB), though people from many denominations worshipped there down through the years.

Oskaloosa, KS Historic Churches

Wellman Schoolhouse

The school was built in 1887 on the homestead of Harrison W. Wellman, in the southeast part of Jefferson County. It is typical of the many one-room country schools that were located every few miles within the county and throughout the country. School Ditrict #70 was formed in 1871

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Things to do Pioneer Life near Oskaloosa, KS

Blacksmith Shop

The blacksmith shop was an important part of the rural community. Blacksmiths kept the town in working order the same way an ...