LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Cherokee Strip Museum


category : Museums
Cherokee Strip Museum In 1975 the Cherokee Strip Museum Association acquired the former Alva City Hospital building with its 40 rooms to house one of Oklahoma's best collections of pioneer exhibits. Several of the rooms are set up to display specific period artifacts.

* Gun Room * Hat Room * Drug Store * Prisoner of War Room * Kitchen * Country Store * Model Railroad * Old Saloon * Oklahoma Room * Student's Room * Telephone Room * Military Room

There is also an Agricultural Building, an Implement Yard, and a One Room School House located on the grounds of the Museum complex.


Admission: Free
Hours: Saturday and Sunday, 2:00 to 5:00 p.m., Labor Day through Memorial Day, Tuesday thru Sunday from 2-5 during the summer
Address: 14th Street and U.S. Highway 64
Phone: 580-327-2030
Closed on Holidays

Come visit us in Alva, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Northwestern Oklahoma State Museum

Northwestern Oklahoma State University Museum houses one of the top taxidermic bird collections in the United States and also has natural history exhibits, fossils, and Indian artifacts.

Alva, OK Museums

World War II POW Camp

A World War II POW Camp was located just south of Alva in the 1940s. More than 5,000 prisoners were interned at a time when the population of Alva itself was only 3,500.

Alva, OK Military History

Historic Churches

The Alva Friends Church was established in 1901 and located at this spot in 1919 as Alva's first Church. The Fire Bell was Fire Bellplaced in this church in Wichita, Kansas, in 1893, and was moved to Alva, Oklahoma, in 1895.

Alva, OK Historic Churches

Centennial Marker

The Alva Centennial Marker ( 1893 - 1993) is "dedicated to the Cherokee Outlet's pioneers whose sacrifices made the prairie bloom and provided the descendants with a proud heritage."

Alva, OK Historical Markers


Things to do Museums near Alva, OK

Ad Buck Museum of Science and History

The A.D. Buck Museum of Science and History was founded in 1913 by Mr. C. E. Johnson who was a biology instructor. One of his...