LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Territorial Capitol


category : Historic Buildings
Territorial Capitol In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas" as the struggle to determine if Kansas would enter the Union a free or slave state raged across the newly formed territory. Fraudulently elected legislators from the border area of Missouri met here briefly and quickly voted to move the Capitol closer to home in the Kansas City area.

"This building was erected in 1855 in the now extinct town of Pawnee for the State Legislature of the territory of Kansas. The members were mostly Missourians fraudulently elected in an effort to make Kansas a slave state. They came in wagons and on horseback, well armed, and camped out on the prairie. The session lasted from July 2 to 6. The Missourians were determined to legislate nearer home and passed a bill to move to Shawnee Methodist Mission near Kansas City. Governor Reeder vetoed the bill. It was passed over his veto and this ended the session here. All other acts, including the so-called Bogus Laws, were passed at Shawnee Mission. This building stood in partial ruin until its restoration in 1928 by the Union Pacific railroad."

- Kansas Historical Society


Hours: Thursday - Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Address: Bldg. #693, K-18 (East Huebner Road)
Phone: 785-784-5535
Operated by the Kansas State Historical Society and Partners of the First Territorial Capitol

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Territorial Capitol

In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas"

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Wounded Knee Monument

This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.

Fort Riley, KS Monuments

U. S. Cavalry Museum

The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Custer House - Fort Riley

Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is the only surviving set of quarters from the Fort'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Post Headquarters - Summerall Hall

Constructed in 1889, this building originally served as the post hospital until after World War II, when primary medical facilities were moved to Camp Whiteside. It is named after General Charles P. Summerall, who was an early commander of the 1

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Buildings near Fort Riley, KS