Dighton, Kansas


Dighton, Kansas

The land which forms the town site was entered by W.A. Watson in the spring of 1879 and a post office was established the same year, giving the town its original name of Watson.

Richard Deighton, a surveyor of LaCrosse, Kansas laid out the official town site of Dighton and the town was named for him. In 1886 Governor Martin declared Dighton the County seat of Lane County. Up to 1886 Dighton was spelled Deighton, but due to an error in the report of the census to the Governor, the 'e' was omitted.

While visiting the Lane Co. Museum in downtown Dighton, listen to the refrain sung to you by the Lane County Bachelor himself about the good old days in settling Lane County.


Attractions near Dighton, Kansas

GAR Monument

The "Soldiers" Monument was erected in Neodesha Cemetery in 1908 under the auspices of Humphrey post 145, of the Grand Army o...

The Depot

The authentic red brick railroad depot was built in the early 1900's and still displays the authentic red tile roof. The depo...

Travel
Lodging
Attractions
Events
Recreation
Advertise