LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Belva's Real Estate Florence Visitors Center

Clarke House


category : Historic Homes
Clarke House Indian raids on white settlers were common in the 1880s. When William Clarke, a mining engineer, and his wife Ella came to Florence, he devised built-in security in constructing his residence about 1884. The interior contained a ladder reaching to the upper floor in the event of an Indian attack. Once the occupants were safely upstairs, the ladder would be pulled up and a trap door closed.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Clark House is an excellent example of the Late Transitional mode of architecture, a blending of Sonoran adobe walls and elegantly detailed Anglo-Victorian entrance porch and louvered bay window. In front of the house were large olive trees, lilac bushes in front of the bay window and a climbing rose bush on a trellis by the front door. Evening ice cream socials were held under the olive trees which were strung with lanterns on wires. The interior was furnished with an impressive array of Eastlake period furniture including a square piano which you may see today at the Pinal County Historical Museum.

Arizona's last Territorial governor, Richard E. Sloan, resided here during the time he served as Pinal County district attorney from 1885 to 1888. As a territorial judge, Sloan presided over the first trail of the Pleasant Valley War when the last Tewksbury killed the last Graham.

Now the offices of the Florence Reminder and Blade-Tribune, the building was returned to its former glory by Donovan M. Kramer Sr. of Casa Grande Valley Newspapers Inc., president and publisher.


Address: 190 N. Main Street

Come visit us in Florence, Arizona

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Nicholas Saloon

The earliest fired-brick building still standing in Florence and the town's second oldest brick structure, the second Nicholas Saloon and Beer Hall was built in 1889 for John Nicholas. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Florence, AZ Historic Buildings

Florence Woman's Club

The Florence Woman's Club grew from the original Florence Village Improvement Club, organized in 1897 to improve and beautify the town of Florence. Members paid 25 cents a year to Mrs. T.F Weedin to keep the club's rake under her porch.

Florence, AZ Historic Buildings

McFarland State Park

This adobe structure is the first Pinal County Courthouse built in 1877. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Florence, AZ Historic Courthouses

Jesus Preciado de Luna/Bernardina Lorona House

This is the Historic District's finest example of a Sonoran corner-style row house. Its street facades are flush with the property line and the wings are one room deep. Always used as a residence, it was built in 1880 by Juan Luna, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Florence, AZ Historic Homes

Historic Coke Ovens in Box Canyon

The Historic Coke Ovens, otherwise known as charcoal kilns, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, were built in 1882 along the Gila River by the Pinal Consolidated Mining Company, and are so inaccessible that their preservation is easily understood.

Florence, AZ Historic Sites

Things to do Historic Homes near Florence, AZ