LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Custer House - Fort Riley


category : Museums
Custer House - Fort Riley Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is the only surviving set of quarters from the Fort's earliest history and authentically depicts military life on the western frontier during the Indian Wars Period. It is largely unchanged from its original design and furnished with period furniture from the period between 1880 and 1890. It is believed that General and Mrs. Custer occupied either this or the sister-set of quarters (#21) while stationed here in 1866.

Custer House is open to the public for visitation, and guided tours are provided by members of the Fort Riley Historical Society.


Admission: Free or Donation
Hours: 10am - 4pm, Monday - Saturday
Noon - 4pm, Sundays.
Season: Memorial Day till Labor Day.
Address: Bldg. #24 on Sheridan Avenue
Phone: 785-239-2743
Our Website:www.riley.army.mil

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Trolley Station

The Trolley Station was used as a baggage storage and waiting area for soldiers and families riding the inter-city trolley between Junction City and Fort Riley from 1901 until 1907. In 1907

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Wounded Knee Monument

This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.

Fort Riley, KS Monuments

Polk Hall

Known in its early years as West Riding Hall, this building was completed in 1908 and served until after World War II as one of two indoor riding halls.

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Post Cemetery

Beyond the Ogden Monument is the Post Cemetery. In the area nearest the Ogden Monument are mass graves of persons who died in two cholera epidemics which struck the post in 1855 and 1867

Fort Riley, KS Cemeteries

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Things to do Museums near Fort Riley, KS

One-Room Dobbs School Museum

Visit the authentic 1800's, Dobbs School, a one-room rural schoolhouse originally from Marion, Kansas. The inside furnishings...