LASR.net Homepage




Menu

D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence


category : Famous Homes
D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence Over the door, chiseled in ornate German script the date, 1882, and the names of the builders, D.R. and E.W. Bruman. The home had a very deep dug well, now covered, which had unusually cool, fresh water. The cellars of the house are on several levels, with a fine fruit cellar, which can be reached from both inside and outside the house.

An unusual aspect of the house is the ceilings. One of the original ceilings still remains, more than ten feet high. It is constructed in four large squares, put together with moldings of different sizes and various woods. Inside the large squares are elaborate Victorian designs, painted by a local artist of the early days, a Swiss, named August Ohst.


Address: 219 West 5th Street

Come visit us in Alma, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Historic Stone Fences

The federal government abolished the open range in a law passed in 1867. The government paid farmers $.40 per rod (16.5 feet) to build and maintain a 4.5

Alma, KS Scenic Drives


Holy Family Catholic Church

The construction of this native stone church was the result of the original frame church burning. The cornerstone of this church was laid August 27, 1899 in the new native rock structure measuring 44 by 100

Alma, KS Historic Churches

City Well and Log Cabin

The City Well is a hand dug well enclosed in a native stone building, which was built in 1930. Well No. 3 was one of seven wells of which three were hand jug wells that supplied water to the City of Alma. In 1967

Alma, KS Historic Buildings

Things to do Famous Homes near Alma, KS

Gronquist Residence

This home was originally a coach stop and inn in the 1870s and much later, bought and added onto by A.S. Allendorph, a well k...

Kindergarten School/Schrader Residence

This house was located in the middle of several lots, but at the same general location years ago, perhaps in the early 1880s....

Manka Residence

This house was octagon in shape before an addition was built on. The entrance to the house is of particular interest. Two tal...

Plumb Place

Carrie Plumb was the widow of Emporia Founder and United States Senator Preston B. Plumb. She built the house in 1895 around ...

Sage/Laverty Residence

This house, built in the early 1880s was originally a four room house, owned by Frank I. Sage. Mr. Sage added four more rooms...