LASR.net Homepage




Menu

D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence


category : Famous Homes
D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence Over the door, chiseled in ornate German script the date, 1882, and the names of the builders, D.R. and E.W. Bruman. The home had a very deep dug well, now covered, which had unusually cool, fresh water. The cellars of the house are on several levels, with a fine fruit cellar, which can be reached from both inside and outside the house.

An unusual aspect of the house is the ceilings. One of the original ceilings still remains, more than ten feet high. It is constructed in four large squares, put together with moldings of different sizes and various woods. Inside the large squares are elaborate Victorian designs, painted by a local artist of the early days, a Swiss, named August Ohst.


Address: 219 West 5th Street

Come visit us in Alma, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Alma United Methodist Church

This wood frame church was built and dedicated to the Glory of God in 1878. The frame building was of a simple design with narrow pointed gothic arched windows and a slender belfry atop the roof, which boasted the first church bell in Alma. In 1906

Alma, KS Historic Churches

Holy Family Catholic Church

The construction of this native stone church was the result of the original frame church burning. The cornerstone of this church was laid August 27, 1899 in the new native rock structure measuring 44 by 100

Alma, KS Historic Churches


D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence

Over the door, chiseled in ornate German script the date, 1882

Alma, KS Famous Homes

Historic Stone Fences

The federal government abolished the open range in a law passed in 1867. The government paid farmers $.40 per rod (16.5 feet) to build and maintain a 4.5

Alma, KS Scenic Drives

Things to do Famous Homes near Alma, KS

Sage/Laverty Residence

This house, built in the early 1880s was originally a four room house, owned by Frank I. Sage. Mr. Sage added four more rooms...

Samuel N. Wood Home

The Sam Wood House (also known as the Nelson Ranch), the original part was built in the 1860's and is now known as "Buck Cree...

Plumb Place

Carrie Plumb was the widow of Emporia Founder and United States Senator Preston B. Plumb. She built the house in 1895 around ...