The Emanuel Lutheran Church was constructed in 1902 of native limestone quarried near Threshing Machine Canyon located along the Smoky Hill Trail. P.A. Nelson quarried all of the stone for the church and his nearby home. Mr. Nelson would pack a bottle of water and a sandwich each day and ride his horse from this location to the quarry.
Mr. Hughes was the main builder of the Church, and Mr. Schutte form Ellis constructed it's arches. The original name was Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church and was established by early settlers from Sweden. Services were held at 6:00 am on Christmas morning.
There is still an active congregation which celebrated it's 100th anniversary in April of 2000.
Address: 71/2 miles south of Ogallah on Highway 147 on a very scenic drive prior to arriving at the Cedar Bluff Reservoir.
Come visit us in WaKeeney, Kansas