LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fairfield Mission Monument


category : Monuments
Fairfield Mission Monument "Established among the western Cherokees by Dr. Marcus Palmer in 1829 under the auspices of Boston based American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. First located in Pope County, Arkansas Territory, and known as Mulberry Mission.

Other missionaries serving at Fairfield included Dr. Elizur Butler, Rev. Charles C. Torrey, and teachers, Clarissa Palmer, Lucy Butler, Addie Torrey, and Esther Smith. A circulation library of 150 volumes was established there in 1832 and was likely the first such library in Oklahoma.

The mission, discontinued in 1859, was located on Sallisaw Creek about 8 miles SW of Stilwell. The mission cemetery is now known as the McLemore Cemetery."

Marker, Oklahoma Historical Society, 63-1995


Address: Erected at the Intersection of Highways 100 and 59 south of Stilwell

Come visit us in Stilwell, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Adair County Courthouse

After Governor Charles N. Haskell's declaration on May 6, 1910, that Stilwell was the permanent county seat of Adair County, the county records were moved from Westville to Stilwell for the last time. A two-story frame school building, erected in 1902, was used until 1908

Stilwell, OK Historic Courthouses



Veteran's Memorial

In 1992, this patriotic memorial to the veteran's of all wars was dedicated on the front lawn of the Adair County Courthouse. "Lest We Forget" those men who made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the peace and security of their fellow man.

Stilwell, OK Memorials

Fairfield Mission Monument

"Established among the western Cherokees by Dr. Marcus Palmer in 1829 under the auspices of Boston based American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. First located in Pope County, Arkansas Territory, and known as Mulberry Mission.

Stilwell, OK Monuments

Things to do Monuments near Stilwell, OK