LASR.net Homepage




Menu

First Bank of Kingfisher


category : Museums
First Bank of Kingfisher D.F. Doak and his brother, Walter, opened the Bank of Kingfisher in a tent on April 22, 1889 - the day of the land run. It stood on the corner of Main and Admire near the center of Kingfisher.

Almost immediately, the Doaks built a 20' by 32' frame building to replace the tent. The frame building is preserved here on the grounds of the Chisholm Trail Museum.

The Doaks soon built a two story brick building to house the bank and moved the frame building to the rear of the lot where it housed numerous businesses. Mrs. Ethel Zellers Hills donated the frame building to the Chisholm Trail Museum and it was moved in September, 1970.

The bank fixtures - the cage and some furnishings - came from Okeene banker, James Durham. The furnishings came from three different banks in Okeene; the Citizens State Bank, the Farmers and merchants Bank, and the State Guaranty Bank. Some of the other records and equipment came from the Kingfisher Federal Savings and Loan, now National Bank of Commerce in Kingfisher. The bank bench came from Farmers and Merchants Bank in Hennessey.

In 1972, the fixtures were used in filming the movie, "Dillinger."


Admission: $2 per person / Donations also accepted
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday -- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sunday & Monday (and legal holidays)
Address: 605 Zellers Ave.
Phone: 405-375-5176
Fax: 405-375-5176
Museum Complex - Directions: From U.S. Hwy. 81 in Kingfisher, five blocks west on Seay Ave., one block north to Zellers Avenue

Come visit us in Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Pioneer Telephone Building

This building was constructed in 1900 by the Anheuser Busch Brewing Association of St. Louis, Missouri. In 1922, the building was restored similar to its original appearance by Pioneer Telephone Cooperative, Inc.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Buildings

Gant School House

From the start the settlers of Oklahoma made provisions for eduction. The proceeds form sections six and thirty-six of each township were reserved for schools. There were country schools every three miles with names like Pleasant Valley, Good Hope, or in this case Gant.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Schoolhouses

Land Office Building/ Post Office

This was the United States Land Office site for filing claims at the opening of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889, and also at the opening of the Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J.C. Roberts was the first Register, and J.V. Admire, the first Receiver.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Buildings

Vernie Snow Aquatic Center

"Kingfisher's indoor swimming facility..." is FUN! FUN! FUN! all year round and offers swimming and aerobic programs. What could be more fun than renting The Vernie Snow Aquatic Center for events such as birthday parties, receptions or other private events.

Kingfisher, OK Fun Centers

Cole Cabin

A more ordinary settler family was that of Samuel and Dorothy Cole. They built this cabin southeast of Hennessey in 1890. It was built of oak logs cut on the farm and hauled to the building site in a wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen.

Kingfisher, OK Pioneer History

Things to do Museums near Kingfisher, OK